Thursday, December 30, 2010

Jetta Adventures: Charlestown State Park



This week has been a busy week because one I am visiting my girlfriend in Southern Indiana and two we have begun a quest to go on all the great hikes in our home state of Indiana. Our first stop was Charlestown State park in Charlestown Indiana. The park is on protected land off of Highway 62 near an old Munitions Plant.



The south end of the park is filled with remnants of the munition plant along the Ohio River as well as gigantic maple leaves. Huge limestone cliffs as well as small rivers dominate the landscape. It was an amazing place with a great feeling of being near civilization at the same time being alone and immersed in wilderness.




The hike started low at the bottom of a cliff and slowly worked its way up to open fields overlooking a wonderful vista of the Ohio River that went on for miles. The hike down was quite treacherous because there had been a melt and it was a slippery slope to the bottom!


The park is a huge expanse of wilderness and I love the feeling of privacy that hiking in the winter brings. Being willing to take a little cold is highly rewarding in terms of being able to enjoy these hikes without the interruptions and disturbances that come during the summer months. Trips like these are the reason I love my car because I may not have the prettiest car or the mostly stylish but it takes me to these wonderful places that otherwise I would have never seen. I am happy to have a reliable and functional car and thankful I have a wonderful girlfriend to share these awesome hikes with!

No comments:

Post a Comment